Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Memories of Dad, Dr. Robert H. Schuller

And he said to them, "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 8:22


One of my many fishing trips with my father.  September 1986

One of the best gifts my dad gave to me was his time.  As a parent myself, no matter how busy I was building my ministry, I always tried to let my children know that family came first.  When my children were in school I selected the task of driving them and (even as the bell rang) prayed for them before they hurried out of the car.   I realized that I learned this habit from my father who often drove me and my sisters to school and prayed each morning before we began the day. 

Even as my children have grown into adults, some with children of their own, I make a point of telephoning them every few days and I try to go out to a meal or to a movie with them every few weeks.  When we are in town, Donna and I have Sunday evenings set-aside for family dinners.  Although we don't always see all of our kids at these dinners, they know that they can count on us if they need us. 

Spending time with my children reminds them that I love them and they are a very important part of my life.  Getting together is not always easy so I need to be intentional about making plans and following through on those scheduled family times.   There is no substitute for time spent together.

My dad and I spent endless hours and went on numerous trips in pursuit of fish of all types.  These amazing memories will stick with me for the rest of my life.    Most importantly I will cherish the way he emulated and taught me how to be a "fisher of men."

You are loved and missed by me and by many Dad.

R.A.S.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Families really need to not only pray together and stay together but memories as you recounted here with your Dad are special! I took each of my daughters ( ages 37 and 40) one to a ballet performance and the other wanted to see Toronto Symphony play while Fantasia was on the big screen at our Roy Thomson Hall. Those "dates" and a bite to eat type times are as you say special. I loved and love how you are..A Fisher of Men, as well as a great fisherman. Thanks for the memory shared to us.

    ReplyDelete